Smart Templates created in Power Author are published to CLMA where a template definition file is created in the . This definition file allows a number of parameters to be set that governs the template behavior in the system.
- Template Permissions - which users or user groups may run this template
- Allow Create Interview - sets whether the template can be used to create/draft a contract
- Allow Data Capture - sets whether the template can be used to run a data capture interview
- Has Final Step before Activation - sets whether the Final Capture step can be skipped before setting the contract as Active
- Allow Create Amendment Interview - sets whether the system will allow Amendments to be created against contracts generated from this template
- Allow multiple transactions - sets whether the system will restrict that a subsequent transaction can only be created once the current transaction is set to active
- Output Document Format - sets whether the generated document will be .DOCX or .PDF
- Interview Type - sets whether the template is used for a master/standalone contract or an order contract
- Master Agreement - sets whether the contract will be a master contract (i.e. able to create orders under it) or a standalone contract
- Custom Template Parameters - an optional field allowing values for specified variables to be “passed in” to the interview on launch. (This can drive conditional logic within the interview)
- Order Template - only applicable for Master templates and is used to specify which template is the Order template associated with that Master Template
- Supporting Documents Template - used to specify which template is the Supporting Documents Template to be used when a user selects to create a Supporting Document under that contract
- Output Container - specifies which Container definition (within the Container Bank) to use when creating a contract. (This mainly impacts the naming convention that will be applied to the contract)
- Template status - sets whether the template definition is Current (i.e. Active) or Archived (i.e. Inactive)
- Template path - is used to specify the file path of the template within the DocGen repository
Please note there are a few other parameters, however these relate to deprecated features and will not be covered in this article.
- It is possible to have multiple template definitions target the same smart template. This enables different behavior to be configured under different circumstances (e.g. capture vs create), or to enable different default values to be specified for different contracts generated by the same template.
- The ‘Allow Create Amendment Interview’ is needed in addition to the Action Configuration item before the ‘Create Amendment’ action is available for a contract. For the ‘Capture Amendment’ action, both ‘Allow Create Amendment Interview’ and ‘Allow Data Capture’ is required (in addition to the Action Configuration item).
- Once a contract has been created using a template definition, it is not possible to delete the template definition. (Set the definition to ‘Archive’ if it should no longer be accessible). To delete a template definition, all contracts created using that definition must be deleted.
- When a Smart Template is updated in DocGen, CLMA will continue using the previous version. Only when ‘Refresh DocGen Template Timestamp’ has been performed will the system use the updated template.
Things to avoid
- Be very cautious when updating the template file path to a new template. This is possible, however as the system will use the answerset generated by the first template when running the new template, it can lead to unexpected behavior or even unrecoverable errors. Avoid using this option unless you fully understand the impact of the new template on old contracts.