What Should I know about InvoiceSmash?
Invoice Smash sits on top of the Invoice Inbox and helps extracting data from text-based PDF Invoices automatically thereby saving manual data entry effort by AP.
The ultimate objective with Invoice Smash is to set the suppliers to ‘Auto-Submit’ so that Invoices can automatically be created in Coupa without any intervention from AP.
Things to remember about Invoice Smash:
- Invoice Smash only works with word based or true PDF’s and not scanned images
- Rules in Sandbox instance(s) do not move over to PROD automatically
- InvoiceSmash supports English only
- InvoiceSmash is not a compliant e-invoicing channel
- No custom field support
- Credit Notes or Statements are not supported
Implementation Best Practices
- Ensure a template is already created for top 70% (based on Invoice volume) of suppliers before Go-Live
- Always use actual supplier Invoices for the templating process without altering the content or the format
- Use all possible Invoice formats from a supplier as samples in Sandbox instances to ensure that templates cater for these. E.g Single and Multi-page Invoices
- Request template upgrades using the ‘Not Correct’ option if data is not extracted correctly
- Allow 4-6 weeks on the project timeline for template creation and AP to get trained on Invoice Smash
- Look to get around 20+ suppliers and at least 3 Invoices from each of those suppliers in Smash to provide a good data set for AP to be trained on
- AP should be able to eventually put all Suppliers on Auto-Submit
- Prepare a Supplier Enablement strategy and criteria for suppliers to be inboard via Smash during the implementation as well as post go-live
- Usage of text-based PDF Invoices should be highlighted in the Supplier communications
- Push-back on suppliers still submitting Invoices in formats other than readable PDF E.g scanned images as these will fail in Smash and lead to manual entry effort by AP
Use-cases to watch out for
- Suppliers Invoicing in multiple currencies - Rule can’t be created in Smash
- Unique Invoice Number not provided by the supplier on the Invoice only account number mentioned
- Multiple supplier objects in Coupa for a supplier name mentioned on the PDF Invoice
- If the PO line number is not populated on the PO-Backed Invoice record as a result of the line level matching then AP/Requester would need to populate this manually
- For Suppliers set to ‘Totals-Only’ rule the PO can’t be retrieved on the PO-backed Invoice automatically if the PO has Qty based lines
- InvoiceSmash cannot post invoices associated with supplier records that have the ‘Allow Supplier to Choose billing account’ setting enabled.
Considerations Post Go-Live
- The templates created for suppliers in Sandbox instances would be available in PROD from day-1 but the rules need to be created in the PROD instance again by populating instance specific master data (Supplier,UoM, Currency Codes etc.) on the Invoices.
- There is a productivity curve for the AP team in PROD post go-live to populate the master data and enable Auto-Submit rule in Smash based on actual Invoicing frequency from respective suppliers.
- If an Invoice has not been templated for some reason (new supplier in PROD, template upgrade required) and needs to be paid urgently then use the ‘Manual Entry’ option from the Invoice Inbox and Save the Invoice in Invoice Smash. Do NOT Submit these Invoices in Smash otherwise template creation/update would not happen on these Invoices.
- If a supplier still submits an Invoice in a format other than text based PDF then use the ‘Manual Entry’ option from Invoice-Inbox to manually code this Invoice using the ‘Fast Entry’ screen. Send a reminder to the supplier to submit a true PDF going forward
- Look to activate the ‘Total Only’ rule for suppliers where splitting into multiple line is not required. ‘Total Only’ rule will create a single amount based on the Invoice with a dummy description and the lump sum Invoice amount. Please note that split billing can still be used against this single line to allocate cost internally.
- Any rules created in the background can always be deleted by navigating to ‘Manage > Rules’ in Invoice Smash and then new rules can be created by making master data updates
Avoid creating Payment Term rules in Invoice Smash so that these can be defaulted from the Coupa Supplier object or from the PO if PO matching is enabled under Manage > Master Rules in Smash.
- Have a clearly defined Supplier Enablement strategy in place to onboard any new suppliers to submit Invoices via Smash. Template creation and setting these new suppliers to ‘Auto-Submit’ can be done directly in PROD.
Supplier Enablement Strategy
The SE strategy should clearly specify the criteria for new suppliers to submit Invoices via Invoice Smash. This criteria could be based on:
- Invoice Volume - The effort in templating and rule creation is justified if there is a significant volume of Invoices coming from a supplier. One time-suppliers should not be considered for Invoice Smash.
- Supplier Channel Preference - Invoice Smash should be considered as part of the whole supplier enablement strategy. Preference is still to get suppliers onto the more automated e-invoicing channels such as CSP,SAN,cXML.etc
- Suppliers not accepting PO’s - Suppliers such as utility companies (gas, water, electricity) and telecom providers (phone,internet) do not usually accept PO’s and are not ready to Invoice via electronic channels in most cases. They can still send the Non-PO backed PDF Invoice to the AP mailbox which can be re-routed to the Invoice Inbox for Smash to work on.
Periodic review of the suppliers enabled via Invoice Smash should be done to consider the possibility of moving them to more automated channels i.e CSP, cXML, SAN, CSV etc