Invoice Smash - Implementation Activities and Considerations
Follow the below steps in Sandbox and PROD instances during IS implementation
- Ensure Invoice Smash is activated on the instance. Raise a support case if it is not activated. Clicking the ‘Invoice Smash’ button on the ‘Invoice Inbox’ menu should lead to the Invoice Smash Dashboard if it is enabled.
Identify Suppliers that would be submitting Invoices via IS as part of the Supplier Enablement strategy.
Send at least 3 actual Invoices from these suppliers to the instance Inbox (invoices@<instance name>.coupahost.com) to ensure the templating process can be kicked-off.Invoices that are still being templated can be found under the ‘Processing’ tab in Invoice Smash with Progress between 30% and 90%. Some Invoices with fairly common templates would be already templated and ready for action by AP under the ‘Requiring Your Attention’ tab. Please note that once a template is created for a particular Supplier Invoice it is available for all Coupa instances (Sandbox and PROD) for all Coupa customers.
All templated Invoices show-up under the ‘Requiring Your Attention’ tab and have a ‘Progress’ of at least 90%.This is the primary dashboard or working-queue for AP. AP should then inspect the first set of Invoices from each supplier under the ‘Requiring Your Attention’ tab in Invoice Smash to check and fix any master data issues by clicking the ‘Resolve’ button against each Invoice. This includes manually checking the data between the PDF Invoice and the Invoice Smash to validate extraction and populate any missing instance specific master-data such as - Supplier, Currency Codes, Payment Terms, Tax-Codes, UoM etc before submitting the Invoice.These fixes automatically create rules in Invoice Smash at the time of Invoice submission.If any data present on the PDF Invoice is not extracted successfully in Smash then a template upgrade can be requested using the ‘Not Correct’ button on the Invoice within Smash. The requester would need to provide a reason for the missing/incorrect extraction and this request would be routed to the Coupa template mapping team. These requests can be monitored under the ‘Pending Administrator Review’ tab
Click the ‘Reprocess All Apply New Rules’ button under the ‘Requiring Your Attention’ tab in Invoice Smash after making the master data fixes - This applies the rules created in step #4 to all invoices under the ‘Requiring Your Attention’ tab
Rules can also be applied on a supplier by supplier basis using the below option:
- Open the second set of Invoices under the ‘Requiring Your Attention’ tab and check for any other master data issues that still persist and fix as required. Submit the Invoice after fixing any issues that still persist
- Once all master data issues have been fixed open the third set of Invoices under the ‘Requiring Your Attention’ tab and check the ‘Auto-submit for this supplier’ flag before clicking on ‘Submit’ button. This should move the Invoices to the ‘Archived (Recently Completed)’ tab. Each Invoice entry under this tab has a direct link to the Invoice record in Coupa
The Coupa Invoices are usually created in draft status and AP/Requester would need to populate the following in the Invoice:
- Billing String (Only for non PO-backed Invoices)
- Commodity (Only for non PO-backed Invoices)
- Any AP specific custom fields
Admins can configure a setting to have InvoiceSmash submit invoices past draft status if they have sufficient details (account string defaults or a successful automatic PO match) to be processed without AP manually reviewing them. This process helps to save time and effort, and yields a more efficient process when going through invoices.
This feature requires the Admin to enable it under Setup > Company information > Invoices > Submit valid InvoiceSmash invoices past draft status.
Any Invoice record created from Invoice Smash will have a hammer like icon on the top right of the screen as shown below:
It will also have an IS Supplier and GUID field on the header. GUID is a link to the IS Invoice record as shown below:
- From this point onwards, any PDF Invoice for these Suppliers submitted via the Inbox should automatically create an Invoice (in ‘Draft’ or ‘Pending Approval’ status depending on Config). This Invoice can now be Approved and Paid.
Things to note for Backed Invoices:
- Coupa PO# should be present on the incoming PDF Invoice to be extracted in case of PO backed Invoices
- If PO# is successfully extracted (PO exists in Coupa) then the ‘Requester’ on the Invoice can be defaulted form the PO
- PO line number is extracted on the Invoice line using Invoice and PO line description matching. Line level attributes like - Price, Amount,UoM, Qty, Line Type (Amt/Qty) are also looked at
- If PO line is extracted successfully on an Invoice line then the Billing String and Commodity can be defaulted from the PO line
- Default Billing String can be picked from a Contract (if specified) for Contract backed Invoices
Remarkable features about Invoice Smash:
- Invoice smash actually extracts the original email body and adds it as an attachment to the draft Invoice record eventually created
- If a supplier attaches 10 PDF Invoices in one email then one Inbox entry will be created for each PDF Invoice and each of the Invoices can then be extracted via Smash.
- Once a template is created for a particular Supplier Invoice it is available for all Coupa instances (Sandbox and PROD) for all Coupa customers.
- Invoice Smash can flag duplicate Invoices based on Invoice Numbers for which Invoices already exist in Coupa for that supplier. The duplicate Invoice can be voided or allowed to create a draft Invoice to be handled further based on the current business process.