To make loading catalogs into Coupa easier, we've compiled some tips for you.
- Always use the same method to load a catalog into Coupa.
- If you initially load a catalog on behalf of the supplier, use the Suppliers > Catalogs method. This will allow the supplier to take over maintenance of that catalog through the Coupa Supplier Portal.
- Ensure item name and description are unique, regardless of which loader method is used or the associated uniqueness criteria.
- Use good data!
- Don't use generic item names (Bad: "iPhone". Good: "iPhone 7 Plus 128GB Jet Black")
- Don't mix and match item loading methods.
- Never use incomplete data.
- Avoid using the wrong loader for the volume of data you need to load.
|Object||Method||Customer Effort||Additional Information|
|Supplier Catalog loaded by supplier||Coupa Supplier Portal||2 hours||
|Supplier Catalog loaded by customer||Coupa platform:
Suppliers > Catalogs
|Internal Catalog||Coupa platform:
Setup > Items
|Supplier Punchout Site||cXML||8 hours
Duration 2-4 weeks (depending on supplier’s efforts)
|sFTP Loader||CSV||3 hours effort per sftp account||
|Field||Required?||Item Loader||Supplier Catalog Loader/CSP||sFTP Loader|
|Contract Number *||Y||x||x|
|Supplier Part Number *||Y||x||x|
|Auxiliary Part Number *||N||x ***|
* These fields are supplier specific.
** This is changed in R20 and Name will become part of the uniqueness criteria for the Catalog Loader
*** Becomes part of the uniqueness if used, although field is not mandatory
Loader Decision Tree
* Spot check of accurate data to be periodically carried out as no approval is required before items are available to be purchased.
Testing Best Practices
- Load the catalog to your TEST environment, try with a few items only initially to test the data format is correct.
- Validate that the data has loaded correctly, visibility of the items is accurate and there are no duplicate items.
- Once the testing is completed and sign-off as correct load the catalog to your PROD environment.
- Don't load catalog directly to Production without testing first.
- Do not mix the loaders. Use the same loader in both TEST and PROD to ensure the load will be successful when the catalog is loaded in Production.