Both Standard and User Defined field configurations can be updated via the field management grids (Admin tab > Configuration Data Management section > Data Dictionary Management – Fields link). In order to eliminate inconsistencies across cultures for a given field, only the component specific configuration options for the default culture (English) can be edited.
To edit fields, follow the steps below.
Go to Admin > Configuration Data Management > Data Dictionary Management - Fields.
The Data Dictionary Fields Management page will display with the object grid populated with the list of all standard and UDFs across objects.
Search/Filter/Sort the grid for the field you would like to edit.
Click the link on the Field Name to view the field.
- For standard fields: Update the Standard configuration options and help text.
- For UDOs: update the standard and specific component options.
Click the Save button to save the field. Or, click the Cancel button to exit without saving.
When editing the required ‘Reporting Display Name’ field for a specific UDF, any existing reports that included the former UDF Reporting Display Name must be edited and re-saved (without changing anything in the report content) before running the report again.
If a customer using the Old User Interface (UI) had User Defined Fields (UDFs) that were not assigned to a UDF group, then performing an edit to a UDF via the Data Dictionary in the New UI assigns the UDF to the ‘Additional Information’ group. A workaround when editing the UDF in the NEW is to set the ‘Group’ dropdown field to ‘No Groups.’
Additionally, changing the Display Name of a UDF that is being used in a program as an Info Management (IM) component will change it on all past Evaluations as well.
Changing the component type
Changes to component types are permanent and cannot be undone.
Once a field has been saved, the component type can be changed to a different component type by editing the field and clicking the Change Component Type button.
Changing the component type on a user defined field will:
- Permanently delete ALL Existing values that are currently stored in the field. Once this change is made the existing values cannot be recovered.
- Change the criteria defined for Enrollment Rules that rely on the data in this UDF.
- Impact the results returned by formulas that reference this field in programs.
- Require the launch for inflight programs that reference this field to be regenerated.
Additionally, changing Setup Data Type fields (Admin tab > Configuration Data Management section > Setup Data Type Management link) that are configured via the Data Dictionary will result in the same outcomes as defined in the above bullet points.
Reporting may be slow to update while the data is reprocessed to remove the data in these fields.
Before changing the component type, run a report that returns a list of all existing data stored in the UDF on the associated standard-object/UDO so that data can be corrected and imported back into this field after the change.
Once the change has been made, perform the following:
- Process a UDF import to repopulate the values in this field with new, valid values.
- Update program enrollment rule configurations to reference these new, valid values.
- Update formulas that reference this field in programs.